- On clay soils, soil amendments improve the soil aggregation, increase porosity and permeability, and improve aeration, drainage, and rooting depth.
- On sandy soils, soil amendments increase the water and nutrient holding capacity.
- A variety of products are available bagged or bulk for soil amendments.
A soil amendment is any material added to a soil to improve its physical properties, such as water retention, permeability, water infiltration, drainage, aeration and structure. The goal is to provide a better environment for roots.
Mulch is left on the soil surface. Its purpose is to reduce evaporation and runoff, inhibit weed growth, and create an attractive appearance. Mulches also moderate soil temperature. Organic mulches may be incorporated into the soil as amendments after they have decomposed to the point that they no longer serve their purpose.
- Mushroom Compost – Bulk $40/yard
- Top Soil – Bulk $35/yard
- Pine Straw – $8.99 per bale
- Straw – $6 bale
- Miracle Gro Potting Soil
- Miracle Gro Planting Soil
- Miracle Gro Moisture Control
- Leaf Gro Leaf Compost Soil Conditioner
- Hardwood – Bulk $32/yard
- Dyed Black – Bulk $34/yard
- Dyed Brown – Bulk $34/yard
- Hardwood & Shredded – 2 cu. ft. $3.99 each
- 3/4″ River Rock Blend
- 1-3″ River Rock
- 5-8″ River Rock
- 3/4″ Bluestone
- Stone Dust
- Sand – 40 lb.
Delivery is available. FREE delivery on orders of 6 yards or more delivered to Lewis and Rehoboth, DE.